Size 0.22 oz|
Store & Pickup Availability
L'Oréal Voluminous Butterfly Mascara provides fanned out volume, featuring a breakthrough wing brush to lengthen, stretch and volumize every lash.
Rated 4.09 out of 5 stars
I bought this long ago, and I have repurchased in the black and recently picked up in the color Black Brown 869. I absolutely LOVE this mascara! I'm the sort of gal with long lashes that naturally curl downward and I curl my lashes with an eye lash curler everyday. I also want to mention that this is NOT sponsored (aka free product, reward points, or other incentives) I just really love this product. With this in mind, I have my set requirements for a mascara, it has to:
(1) Make my lashes pop (aka darken) then, which this product does very well. It gives that ultra dramatic look you can't normally find at the drugstore -more on the drugstore vs Sephora/Ulta later.-
(2) Give me that voluminous look but still with that soft curl so that it doesn't look like my lashes stick straight out of my eye balls. Now this is usually a deal breaker for me which makes me want to throw away the mascara, because in my opinion this is the most important. This product does that so well that when I first put it on, it surprised me and I shared it with anyone who would listen.
(3) Last all day because I hate reapplying and I don't want to lug the thing around with me. I go to school and reapplying is just a pain, so this mascara covers that because at the end of the day, I'm practically scrubbing off the mascara with make up remover.
(4) Be completely clump free. Another important thing about mascaras to me. Now this product isn't COMPLETELY perfect and you'll get those few specs occasionally. However, I find that if you wipe down the mascara brush after using it a couple times it isn't much of a big deal.
(5) Could go with 2, but for my long straight down lashes is a biggie: curl and make my outer corner lashes look good and which I've mentioned before stick straight downward (which my lash curler isn't able to get more than half the time). The brush design specifically targets this issue with its unique triangular curved brush with thicker bristles at the end, and is the very main reason why I grabbed it off the shelf to try in the first place. Also the work it does for those specific lashes is one of the main reasons why I'm grabbing this mascara over all the other ones I have.
(6) Actually make me want to wear it, when compared to other mascaras from Sephora and Ulta. Now this is what surprised me the most about this product (only ~$9) is that it actually compares to my Roller Lash by Benefit (costs $24). I actually PREFER my Voluminous OVER the Benefit by the previous mentioned outer corner lashes problem.
(7) I have to rave about the brush now, it's amazing! It doesn't fall apart over time, and great for the outer corner lashes. Only small thing though, is that I feel like I can't get close enough to coat all my inner corner lashes due to the slight decrease in the bristle size towards the end of the mascara. Whenever I open the mascara there usually seems to be a massive amount of mascara on the end opposite the handle, but is easily solved for me by wiping the end off as it is pretty flat and won't fall apart due to its durability.
(8) Last a pretty long time. By this I mean that it won't dry out a month after opening. This product lasted me a pretty decent amount of time to the point where I had to throw it away because I couldn't remember when I bought it.
Also small side note, (if you're still reading this, give yourself a pat on the back for staying with me this far!) I have let my sister and mom borrow this mascara to see what they thought. Note: they both have thinner, smaller lashes than I do. They both love it just as much as I do, with the same reasons I do. I thought this would be important to mention due to the fact that some mascaras don't work for my thicker, downward lashes while some do on my sister and mom's thinner lashes, and vice a versa. This is the one mascara that we can all agree on is one of the best that you can find, period. All in all though, AWESOME product, and will repurchase until you stop making this version of the Voluminous Butterfly mascara.
I've been using the original Voluminous mascara for many years, and I've always loved it. However, it can be a little clumpy, and I wanted to shake things up. I figured this take on the original was a safe bet- A good way to try something new without wasting money. I figured I couldn't go wrong with a variation on a product I've adored since middle school. Boy was I wrong.
First, the pros: This stuff looks amazing on lashes. The brush takes a little getting used to, but it does a wonderful job of separating and defining, coating even the littlest lashes in the corners of eyes. This mascara adds volume and plenty of length without getting too clumpy. The best comparison I can make is doll eyelashes. Really dramatic and beautiful.
Now, the cons: This stuff looks amazing and stays put for about five minutes before it gets dry and starts to flake. Tiny black specs at first, only noticeable to the wearer. However, by four or five o'clock, the stuff has flaked all over my face and my under eyes are a black-flecked mess. I've had this problem every single day. But this isn't even the most disturbing part. The formula isn't the same as the original, and it BURNS my eyes. Not in an overly painful way, but still uncomfortable. My eyes are watering up and burning mildly by mid-afternoon, and they don't quit until I remove it. This doesn't help with my under eye situation, either- Now I've got dry flecks mixing with wet tears and... Well, you can imagine.
Maybe I got a bad tube, but I'm very disappointed. Can't wait to get back to the tried and true original.
Molly from MA
Perfect for that cat eye look! Usually use a different mascara along side this one and use this brush to comb through afterwards. Love it!
Hi from NY
Did lengthen and separate my eyelashes very well, was not clumpy, but my eyelashes fell flat immediately. This mascara cannot hold a curl at all and my lashes were practically sticking straight down. I even tried drying out this mascara, but it did not work (even when I first opened it, this mascara was not very wet to begin with). I have not tried the waterproof version, but this regular version is not worth it because for me it is very important for mascara to hold a curl.
LYS from Ohio
I've tried many mascaras but this is my favorite for the price and the quality. Stays on all day but easy to get off with one swipe of a makeup wipe and never takes any of my lashes with it. Always makes my lashes look long, I constantly get compliments on them. With this being said, I do have dark colored lashes so I'm not sure how well it'd work on blonde lashes, but for me it works perfect!
Mimis from Albuquerque
This mascara was dry and flaky. the Brush too hard and my lashes no volume
Lilyhotchili from USA
Great everyday mascara, doesn't transfer, and provides a bit of volume and a bit of curl but not so much that it looks crazy unnatural. There's better mascaras out there but for the price this ones a good go to. My lashes are thin and pin straight and this gives a bit of oomph to them!
Tuma from Toledo, OH
Have been using this product since two years and its the best, BUT its best used when the tube starts to dry where the brush can grab the lashes and curl them. The good thing is that it doesn't clot or leave residue after a while on your eyelids or under eyes like other mascaras even good brands ones. I used good brands before many many of them but non of them gave me what I need, until i started using butterfly from loreal.
Brittney from Dallas, TX
I've used quite a few different mascaras from L'oreal and never had problems. But I purchased this one and wore it twice before I got an eye infection in both eyes from it. Swollen, itchy, infected eyes for over a week! Maybe I'm just sensitive to an ingredient, not too sure, but now I wont buy this brand anymore
makenna from swagland
i bought this mascara a few years ago and i haven't bought it since. it dried out very quickly in the bottle. it made my eye lashes clump and i won't end up buying this again. i had to use another mascara on top of it because this made my eye lashes look bad
Leah from Bradford PA
I've used this mascara on and off for a few years now and always loved it, until now. I just bought another one about a week ago and I've never had a mascara flake this bad before. It's so disappointing because it makes my lashes look great but a couple hours after I apply it, I've got a ton of flakes under my eyes.
makeupaddictmeg from Quakertown, PA
I have been purchasing this item for years! Every now and then I try a new mascara that people rave about, but nothing compared to this mascara!!
MNraxie from Minnesota
I bought this wanting to try the unique brush style and I really like it. There was a learning curve for me in getting used to it - it has dual areas for the upper and lower lashes. I have not had problems with clumping or flaking, I will definitely buy it again.
TLC from Wichita, KS
Love how the comb type applicator separates my lashes & lengthens them. However, it really doesn't volumize as advertised.
Rae from Dallas, Tx
I really enjoyed this mascara so much!!
Josi from Flint, MI
This mascara is amazing! Every time I try a new mascara, I ALWAYS go back to this one. For someone who's lashes are non existent, it makes my lashes look long and full.
I apply many coats as well and it does not clump!
Ari from Dracut, Ma
I love the formula, but hate the wand.
Ness from Woodlake, ca
Love the brush. Been using for a while
Reni from Hilton Head Is. SC
I use the product daily,can not be without.
It makes my eyes lock bigger.
Aye from NM
Makes your lashes the shortest, tiniest, little stubs. It's also hard to take off, worst mascara ever.
Ozzie from New York
I love this mascara. I've tried out many mascaras such as the too faced better than sex mascara and the Maybelline great lash mascara but none of them compare to this one. It has a great texture and it applys so nicely. It last all day, and the only downside is that it's super difficult to remove, but only because it's waterproof.
Rae from Yucaipa
the applicator is wonky and the formula is to thin
TheNan from Pooler GA
Not a big mascara user because of bad experiences in the past but this product is great and has changed my mind. I plan to wear this mascara often!
Sam from Arizona
It's the only mascara I have purchased more than once.... which says something
Rachel from Minnesota
Great product, holds up well, amazing scent as well!
Jana from Austin Texas
Easy and quick to apply with no clumping. Also there is no flaking throughout the workday. I love it
grammie908 from arling texas
I could tell no difference in my lashes and this mascara has a smell to iit. I would not recommend.