Since we began operating in 1990, we reinvented the beauty retail experience by offering a new way to shop for beauty—bringing together “All Things Beauty, All in Your World, At the Heart of the Beauty Community”. This unique and enduring value proposition continued to drive our success supported by our one-of-a-kind assortment, store footprint, leading digital experience, best-in-class loyalty program and focus on human connection and the guest experience.
Today, our vision remains the same, to become the most loved destination for beauty enthusiasts by reimagining the end-to-end guest experience; facilitating inspiration, discovery and experimentation; and serving as a trusted guide, regardless of channel.
Conscious Beauty at Ulta Beauty™
We empower guests to make informed and sustainable product choices.
Conscious Beauty at Ulta Beauty™ gives guests choice and transparency, so they can purchase products that align with their values. It educates guests and highlights how brands and products are formulated, developed and packaged. It’s an approach that meets guests where they are, allowing them to shop according to the attributes that matter most to them.
Consumer Trends in Clean Beauty¹
- 50%+ of Gen Z look closely at ingredients in beauty and personal care products prior to making a purchase
- 67% of consumers have made lifestyle changes to lessen their environmental impact, including seeking out products that use recyclable or environmentally friendly packaging
- 90% of Gen Z/younger millennials are interested in purchasing clean beauty products in the future
- 12% expected revenue growth in the global clean beauty market by 2027²
¹Ulta Beauty Consumer Insights Survey, 2023
²Brandessence Market Research
Seeking Better Packaging Materials
While three of the five Conscious Beauty at Ulta Beauty™ pillars—Clean Ingredients, Cruelty Free and Vegan—concern product formulations, the Sustainable Packaging pillar aims to address the problem of waste in the beauty industry, which produces more than 120 billion units of packaging each year. To qualify for our Sustainable Packaging pillar, at least 50% of the consumer-level packaging, by weight, for products sold at Ulta Beauty must be sustainable by Ulta Beauty’s definition. In 2022, we strengthened our definition of sustainable packaging by incorporating weight measurement, aligning with existing industry standards. Packaging qualifies as sustainable if it meets one of the following four criteria:
- Recyclable (aligned with U.S. Federal Trade Commission guidelines)
- Made from recycled material
- Made from bio-sourced material
As more brands meet our definition under the Sustainable Packaging pillar, we are making progress toward our own commitment that by 2025, 50% of packaging sold at Ulta Beauty, including both Ulta Beauty Collection® and other brands, will meet this standard.