Commitment to Amplifying & Investing in Underrepresented Voices
Recognizing the undeniable opportunity to consistently celebrate and support the influence underrepresented brands and voices have on the beauty industry, we will dedicate time, space and resources to these important leaders.
- Approximately $20 million will be allocated to media investments across multicultural platforms to create more personal connections with audiences across LatinX, Black and other communities throughout 2021, more than doubling the spend of the last three years.
- As part of this dedicated spend, we proudly debuted MUSE: Magnify, Uplift, Support, Empower, a platform to celebrate, honor, and amplify Black voices in beauty. This campaign shines a light on bold, brilliant and beautiful Black women who have defied and defined limits, and will continue to be part of our initiative to create access and equity.
Commitment to Black-owned Brands
As our unparalleled assortment continues to evolve, we will work directly with Black founders and entrepreneurs to grow brands so these beauty leaders can thrive as they continue to serve the Black community and beyond.
- To increase the presence of Black entrepreneurs, we will double the number of Black-owned brands in our assortment by the end of 2021.
- More than $4 million will be dedicated to marketing support of Black-owned brands within the company’s assortment to fuel brand awareness and sustain growth.
Commitment to Guest Experiences
Everything is in service of our guests, and we remain committed to creating welcoming and equal experiences for every guest who visits us.
- Introducing quarterly, in-store training for all store and salon associates in March 2021 to reinforce inclusivity and address unconscious bias. These mandatory trainings account for a $2 million investment and are additional to Ulta Beauty’s existing store and salon trainings.
- Building upon Race Matters Leadership Training which debuted in 2020, the company will implement a mandatory 2.0 version across field, distribution center and corporate associates in 2021.
Commitment to Associate Experiences
We know the importance of fostering an inclusive, bias-free and equitable workplace to enable all associates to reach their full potential. We will continue to prioritize this area, investing in our people to advance competencies and collaboration.
- More than doubled D&I trainings across the enterprise for 2021 for the second year in a row.
- Launched inclusive recruiting efforts with a diverse slate mandate.
- Established a Diverse Leaders Program to empower more than 30, high-potential associates as future company leaders with CEO and executive mentorship.
- Annual performance reviews include evaluation against the core value of Champion Diversity and the key competency of Inclusion.
Commitment to Accountability
We have established an internal governance led by our executive team who holistically review D&I progress, gaps and opportunities. Externally, we will of course continue listening to guests, associates and partners on these topics. And, we are proud to welcome Tracee Ellis Ross as our Diversity and Inclusion advisor, a formalized role to provide counsel, inspiration and drive accountability. Ellis Ross, a beauty entrepreneur, activist and actor, will bring her passion and experience to Ulta Beauty with a specific focus on BIPOC brand development, diverse leadership and supplier diversity. She will also join Executive D&I Council Summits quarterly.
Tracee Ellis Ross, Diversity and Inclusion Advisor