It's time to wear your beach-y waves in a new way. Case in point: This woven, wavy ponytail that’s elegant enough for a wedding reception and chill enough for a football tailgate.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Prep just-washed hair with styling cream like Redken Pillow Proof Blow Dry Express Treatment Primer (or try an in-shower option, like Living Proof T.B.D. Multi-Tasking Styler), then blow-dry roughly, using your fingers rather than a round brush.
2. Once completely dry, wrap one-inch sections around a medium-sized curling wand, like the Paul Mitchell Express Ion+ Unclipped 3-in-1 alternating directions so the curl isn’t uniform throughout.
3. Mist a dry shampoo like Redken Pillow-Proof 2-Day Extender Dry Shampoo through length, then finish with a dime-size amount of pomade like Living Proof Molding Clay to give waves a bit of grit and hold.
4. Pull the section of hair at the top of your head straight back – loosely, so it still has volume! – using bobby pins to secure it at the crown of your head.
5. Then, pull the hair nearest that section on the right side of your head back, and secure it on the left side of the back of your head with a bobby pin. Do the same with the section of hair to the left of the center section, securing it on the right.
6. Continue to pull pieces back and diagonally so that they form a woven pattern until you reach the nape of your neck. Secure here with a clear elastic ponytail holder. Mist with Kenra Shaping Spray 21 to set.
Give the look a more relaxed feel, as Jess did here, by pinning hair into a low-slung side ponytail, and let it fall over one shoulder.