Red Carpet to Real Life
How to copy the fabulous looks from the Globes, Grammys and Oscars
won and lost the awards is already a blur. What’s unforgettable are the
gorgeous makeup looks of your favorite stars. Want to re-create those
dazzling eyes, lips and cheeks? It’s a cinch with some brilliantly
assembled red-carpet kits and these tips from Hollywood makeup artist
Carla Farra, who’s gotten such celebs as Jessica Biel and Zooey
Deschanel ready for their close-ups.
Dark and Smokey
Katy Perry, Kim Kardashian, Mila Kunis and Jennifer Hudson are just a
few of the stars that rock a smoldering, dark eye. “The smoky eye will
never go out of style,” says Farra, so it’s an important look to
master. Farra’s top kit pick for getting a glamour gaze: LORAC Close Up: Real Life To Red Carpet Eye Tutorial.
“I love this kit,” she says. “It’s so complete. Nothing is left out.” To apply, follow these steps:
1. Apply Behind the Scenes Eye Primer to entire lid.
“Smoky eyes tend to smudge, especially when you’re just starting to do
them,” Farra says. “This will hold it in place.”
2. Sweep the lightest shade in the Starry Eyed Baked Eye Shadow Trio over your lid. Then apply the middle shade from the lash line to the crease.
3. Using the blending side of the Double Ended Blending/Smudging Brush, apply the darkest shadow shade right above the lash line from the middle of the eye to the outer corner. Smudge upward.
4. Holding the eyelid taut, trace the PRO Eyeliner across your lash line. (“This is one of my favorite liners,” says
Farra. “It’s just awesome.”) Let go of the lid and extend the line
about a quarter inch to create a cat eye.
5. Apply two coats of Special Effects Mascara.
All-Natural Glowing Glam
Selena Gomez, Lea Michele and Natalie Portman favor a more muted, but no less glamorous, red-carpet look. Achieve this with Too Faced Glamour to Go II.
1. Sweep a light, creamy neutral over your entire lid. Choose a
pink or peach shadow and apply from lash line to crease. Brush a brown
shade on the outer corner of your eye. “The eight colors in the eye
shadow kits all work with each other,” says Farra, “so you can mix and
match as you like. A natural eye is a lot more foolproof than a smoky
2. Apply the blush in the center of the apple of your check and
blend toward your temples. Very lightly dust a bit more blush right
over your cheekbone.
3. To balance the natural eye, create a deeper lip color by
mixing two or more of the four glosses together for a customized pout
that’s perfect for you.
Variation: For a sun-kissed version of your natural look, follow these same steps with the Stila E! Glamour Goddess Palette. As a finishing touch, sweep the All Over Shimmer Powder on your cheeks, forehead, chin, shoulders and décolletage.