Style School: The Sexy Side Braid
Tousled or sleek, this side-swept, easy-does-it style makes us swoon
how do you get this of-the-moment style? Follow this step-by-step guide
to the ultimate side braid from Luxe Beauty Team member Kennedy Van
Dyke, a stylist at the Warren Tricomi Salon in Los Angeles.
1. Prep Your Hair: Brush out any knots and slightly
tease your hair at the crown to add a little height. If you're going
for a polished braid, apply a small amount of finishing cream to the
ends of your hair, such as Oscar Blandi Pronto Gloss Instant Glossing Cream. It will smooth fly-aways and keep strays from popping out of your braid.
2. Part Your Hair: After teasing your hair, use a boar bristle brush such as the Hana K. Diamond Wood Boar Bristle Oval Cushion Brush to smooth your hair into the direction of where you want your braid to
start. Decide where you want to part your hair—middle, left or right.
3. Divide and Conquer: Gather all your hair into
one hand, using the other hand to divide your hair into three pieces to
begin the braid. As you braid, keep in mind that the tighter the braid,
the more polished the outcome. A looser braid will allow hair to pop
out and will create a messier finish.
4. Tie it Up: Fasten the end with a hair band. Van Dyke suggests either a brightly colored hair tie such as Karina Perfect Hold Elastics to give the braid a little twist or a clear one to leave a seamless end.
5. Go Loose: If your braid is too tight, simply pull at the sides of it to loosen it up for that sexy, undone and tousled look.
6. Hold It: Spray the finished look with a medium-hold hairspray such as Jonathan Product Finish Control High Shine Aerosol Hairspray to keep hair in place and looking fresh all day.